Thursday, August 23, 2012

Omurice

This is my first post on this blog, which is really exciting.  I have been wanting to post something for a while, but I have moved twice across country within the last 10 months.  So, as you can see, this has been postponed for quite some time.

In most anime shows the characters tend to eat omurice.  From the websites I have read the dish is really popular in Japan and can be found in most diners.  The dish is also popular in Korea.  This can be seen in the k-drama The Rooftop Prince where the characters eat the omurice with such ferocity you can not help but drool and wish you had some.  Omurice is a western style dish that was made more for Japanese taste buds.  It is a yellow omelette that is stuffed with a rice mixture and topped with ketchup.  Here is an omurice from Hanasaku Iroha.


To make the dish I got the recipe from the youtube channel of cookingwithdog.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcJlmhoYNfI
The cook is a real life Cooking Mama and the video is really easy to follow.

I have to say that my first attempt at making the omurice was a failure.  The egg ended up sticking to the pan and I could not fold the sides over.  This is what it ended up looking like.


My second attempt was more of a success.


I made sure that my non-stick frying pan was well oiled and I made sure the stove was not turned on too high.  If you turn the stove top on high then the omelette will brown.  We want to make sure that the egg has more of a yellow coloration. Put the stove top on medium low and slowly heat up a medium sized frying pan.  Once the pan feels warm go ahead and put in the egg mix. This method will ensure that the egg will not stick and you will have a nice yellow omelette.


For my personal taste I really like the dish.  The egg is nice an fluffy and the ketchup gives the whole dish a nice umami flavor. However, if you plan to make this for four people it will take a little bit of time. You could always use several frying pans at the same time to cook the omelettes, but that just causes more dishes to wash.

No comments:

Post a Comment